Museum de Fundatie is looking for a curator of contemporary art
36 hours | Zwolle and Heino / Wijhe
Museum de Fundatie is one of the leading museums in the eastern Netherlands. It profiles the work of established artists and designers, and showcases new talent. Firmly rooted in the province of Overijssel, the museum is also active internationally. Museum de Fundatie is open to all, offering a varied programme of exhibitions and events at its own sites, in other public buildings and at festivals. Trendsetting and creative, in recent years the museum has managed to establish a strong reputation with a wide audience.
Temporary exhibitions and permanent exhibits can be viewed at two sites: Museum de Fundatie in Zwolle and Nijenhuis Castle, with sculpture park, in Heino/Wijhe.
Museum de Fundatie manages two collections of art: the Fundatie Collection (owned by non-profit organisation Stichting Hannema-de Stuers Fundatie) and the Overijssel provincial art collection. Work from both is displayed at the museum’s two main sites and at satellite locations. The two collections are fully integrated.
As curator of contemporary art you will help care for post-1980 works from our two collections, and share responsibility for the management of, research into, publications on and interpretation of work from both collections. You will play a key role in the museum’s programme of exhibitions and events focused on contemporary art. As curator, you will also be jointly responsible for researching and proposing new acquisitions of contemporary art. In the performance of these duties, you will work closely with the team at the museum and report to the executive director.
Diversity and inclusion are important to Museum de Fundatie. As a curator, you will contribute to our efforts to become more diverse and inclusive in both our exhibition policy and our collection policy. You will work with the director on adjustments to the museum’s permanent exhibits and temporary presentations.
- perform academic research on the Fundatie collection and the provincial collection, and disseminate the results in publications, lectures and exhibitions, with a strong focus on diversity and inclusion;
- take responsibility for the physical management of the collection, in consultation with the collections team, consisting of a collections coordinator and a collections assistant;
- track developments on the art market and propose new acquisitions, focusing on introducing new focal points in the collections;
- maintain contacts with Dutch and international artists, with a particular focus on regional talent;
- maintaining contacts with other museums, artists’ initiatives, research institutions and collectors;
- develop and help to put into practice initiatives and activities related to the educational, historical, art-historical and/or social significance of the collections, with a strong focus on the museum’s public role;
- guide the work of project assistants and trainee curators/interns assigned to you;
- make an active contribution to the development of and fundraising for the activities of Museum de Fundatie.
You will need:
- a degree in art history (minimum MA level);
- at least two years’ experience as a curator or assistant curator;
- acknowledged expertise in the field and the skills to display this both internally and externally; knowledge of contemporary African and/or eastern European art will be an advantage;
- experience of making exhibitions and publishing catalogues or papers in your field;
- experience of working on projects and in teams will be an advantage;
- an ability to develop and realise creative ideas;
- excellent command of spoken and written Dutch and English.
We can offer
A unique workplace at a growing museum, with coworkers dedicated to Museum de Fundatie and the broader cultural sector.
A fixed-term contract for one year with a view to a permanent contract, subject to suitability. A monthly salary, depending on qualifications and experience, ranging from a minimum of €3525 to a maximum of €4738 (scale 11 of the Museum CAO [collective labour agreement]) for a full-time 36-hour working week, excluding 8% holiday allowance and 6.4% end-of-year bonus. Museum de Fundatie operates partially in accordance with the Museum CAO, but also has its own terms and conditions of employment.
Museum de Fundatie aspires to be a diverse organisation in the broadest sense. We do not mind what you believe, how old you are, where you come from or who you love. What we are interested in is your talents. The museum expressly invites people from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Send your CV and letter of application tor firstname.lastname@example.org, attn. Beatrice von Bormann, Executive Director. If you have any questions about the role, please contact us at this email address.
Please submit your response no later than 15 February 2023.